COVID-19: Update March 20, 2020
We are committed to ensuring your employees have access to the care they need during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are removing barriers for providers and patients to deliver safe, efficient and quality care during this unprecedented time. Whether your employees are concerned about COVID-19 or a non-urgent medical need, please encourage them to call before heading to their provider’s office.
Special enrollment period
- We are opening an emergency COVID-19 special enrollment period today, March 20, 2020 for the uninsured to enroll in health plan coverage.
- This special enrollment period is for all qualified health plans offered though the Exchange and will be for 30-days, until April.
Temporary removal of cost-sharing for key services
- We are expanding coverage for telehealth services by waiving the cost-sharing for urgent telemedicine visits with AmWell, our telemedicine provider.
- See the AmWell section below for additional details and how to get connected.
Expanded telehealth services with your provider
- We are advocating for physician and health system adoption of social distancing-encouraged capabilities such as video, chat and e-visits.
- Vermont providers can now offer expanded telemedicine services over various audio-visual platforms.
- This coverage applies to mental health providers, physical and occupational therapy and applied behavioral analysis, among others.
- Cost-sharing is consistent with the benefit and the type of service your employees receive.
- Your employees should discuss with their provider what kind of audio-visual platform they should use. In times like this, technology should not be a barrier to care.
Expanded telephone-only visits
- Allow telephone-only visits for your employees who do not have access to audio/visual equipment.
- We have expanded access to care for members who do not have access to audio or visual equipment for telemedicine visits.
- Medically necessary out-patient visits (previously covered and allowed via telemedicine platforms) can now occur over the phone.
- For a full listing of codes, providers should log on to the provider resource center.
- Cost-sharing is consistent with your benefit and the type of service you receive.
24/7 doctor visits on your smartphone, tablet or computer
- Effective March 20, 2020, we will cover urgent AmWell telemedicine visits at no cost to members.
- Wait times at may be long. AmWell is adding providers to their network to reduce the wait time. In the meantime, your employees can request a visit and can choose to receive a text message when a doctor becomes available.
- AmWell has established a Telehealth Response Program to support the use of telehealth as an initial COVID-19 screening tool, which includes an always-on-call infection control officer.
- Download the AmWell app: Doctor visits 24/7 app on the App Store (Apple Devices) or the Google Play Store (Android Devices).
- Individuals who do not have our coverage can still access AmWell but will need to pay AmWell’s standard fee of $69.00 using a credit card, which can be done online prior to seeing the provider.
COVID-19 Testing and Associated Visits
- We will cover COVID-19 testing performed by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Vermont Department of Health (VDH), or a laboratory approved by CDC or VDH, with no co-payment, coinsurance, or deductible requirements.
- This coverage includes telephone triage, office visits with a provider, or urgent care visits and emergency service visits to test for COVID-19.
We will implement the above benefits across all membership including all self-funded plans.